Monday, July 6, 2009

My favorite museums


Being from New York, all of my favorite museums are located there. I know there are wonderful museums in D.C. and Baltimore but I just don't have the time enjoy them as much as I would like. When I lived in NY, I used to go to the museums every week. Here are a few of my favorites.

The Noguchi Museum is dedicated to the life and work of the artist, Isamu Noguchi. They have a diverse collection of his works in stone, metal, clay, wood, designs for public works and light sculptures. The museum is housed in industrial buildings that surround a peaceful and beautiful sculpture garden. It is truly an escape from the city outside it.

Near the Noguchi Museum you will find the Socrates Sculpture Park. This is a great place to see large-scale artwork in a unique environment along the river in Long Island City.

The Cloisters is one of my favorites! It is located all the way uptown in Fort Tyron Park overlooking the Hudson River. The Cloisters is actually part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and is dedicated to the art and architecture of Medieval Europe. The building incorporates elements from 5 French cloisters which surround beautiful gardens using authentic medieval designs and plants. The collection of tapestries and stained glass are absolutely beautiful. You feel like you have been transported back in time without ever leaving the city.

Lastly, you can't go to New York without visiting The Guggenheim Museum and The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment