Friday, June 5, 2009

Louise Bourgeois: The Spider, The Mistress and The Tangerine...


What a great title for a biography of, what I consider to be, one of the most fascinating female artists of all time. I haven’t seen the biography yet but I am anxiously awaiting it’s DVD release on June 23rd.



Louise’s work was very influential for me when I was working on my undergraduate degree. She is an incredible sculptor who at 97 years old is still producing great works of art. Her sculptures deal with relationships and extreme emotions. They are strongly influenced by her childhood, more specifically the war, her adulterous father and a mother who refused to acknowledge his affairs. She seems fearless to me. She has said that her emotions are so big that she must get them out. Her sculptures are the vehicle to accomplish just that.




No comments:

Post a Comment